KISD School Board Meeting Recap
The KISD Board of Trustees met for the regular monthly meeting on Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the KISD Media Center. The following is a brief recap of the items discussed and voted upon.
- KHS Counselors Dawn Ramirez and Kim Hunt honored two graduates from the Wildcat Success Center alongside their families.
- The principals from our five campuses were honored as Superintendent, Chad Gee, read Governor Abbott's proclamation recognizing October 2019 as Principals Month in the state of Texas.
- In public comments, Mr Gary Lasada of Southlake, Texas asked for the boards endorsement for a seat in the upcoming election of the Tarrant Appraisal District Board of Directors. Also, in public comments was Mr. Daniel Bennett of White Settlement, TX who spoke of a resolution from the City of Colleyville regarding the TAD voting Board of Directors.
- All consent agenda items were approved.
- In Old Business the board approved additional funds of $15,000 needed for the repairs at the Kennedale Performing Arts Center. Also discussed was the addition of adding Cotinine (nicotine) to the items tested for in the Drug Testing Program, due to the recent change in law making it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase nicotine or vapor products.
- In New Business, the 2019-2020 Campus Improvement Plans, personnel needs of the District, and acceptance of funds from the Kennedale ISD Education Foundation were approved. Also approved in New Business was the submittal of a class size exemption waiver to the Texas Education Agency for fourth grade at Patterson Elementary, pending the hiring of an additional teacher. Currently Patterson Elementary has three 4th grade classes with 23 students.
Additionally in New Business the KISD CFO, Jimmy Adams held a public hearing to discuss and report on the District's Schools FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating Sytem of Texas) report. Kennedale ISD received a superior rating with a score of 98%.
- In the Superintendent's Report Mr. Gee spoke about the feedback from staff on the recent Harvesting Respect and Clifton Strengths Finder professional development that occured on October 11th and October 14th. District employees found both of the trainings to be engaging and were well received. Also in the Superintendent's Report was the mention of an interactive event calendar that the board will utilize for district and community events to ensure representation from the school board is present.
The next regular KISD School Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 21, 2019 in the KISD Media Center at 7:00 p.m.
The agenda can also be viewed on the district website by going to https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/PublicHome.aspx?ak=220914.