RENEWAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR CURRENTLY CERTIFIED EDUCATORS
Six months prior to the expiration date of your certificate, you will be sent an email reminder to the email address in your educator account. It is your responsibility to meet renewal requirements even if renewal notification was not received (TAC §232.1(c)). The initial email you receive to renew your certification will NOT be from Kennedale ISD.
You must apply and pay online to renew your standard certificate.
- Log into your TEAL account to access your educator account.
- Once in TEAL, click View My Educator Certification Account to log into your Educator Certification Online System (ECOS) account.
- Once in ECOS, verify your profile information is correct. Then click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- From the Main Menu on the left, select Applications, then Renew a Standard Certificate.
- Follow the prompts to submit the online renewal application and pay the fee.
If you have not set up your TEAL and ECOS accounts, instructions are located on the ECOS for Educator page. If you need assistance with accessing your existing TEAL account, submit a help desk request to account access.
EDUCATIONAL AIDE CERTIFICATION
Title I, Part A Paraprofessional Requirements
Prior to providing services, Title I, Part A paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent and meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (defined as completion of 48 semester hours or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework or an applicable number of semester hours as defined by the institution of higher education attended, whichever is less;
- Possess an associate (or higher) degree; or
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a local academic assessment;
• Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics; or
• Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness as appropriate.
For a new to district educational aide that has not previously been employed by another school district, you will need to set up your online at TEAL and ECOS accounts. Once logged into ECOS, you will select the Applications tab and then select Educational Aide Certificate and follow the prompts to apply and pay the fee. For step-by-step instructions, please view the Applying for the Educational Aide Certificate document.
Once you have applied, the Superintendent’s Office will recommend you as an Educational Aide I, II, or III based on your eligibility.
Current Educational Aides Needing to Reapply
As of January 1, 2018, Educational Aide certificates cannot be renewed. An individual who holds a Standard 5-year Educational Aide certificate will no longer be able to renew it, and must reapply for the new 2-year, non-renewable Educational Aide certificate.
OUT OF STATE CERTIFICATIONS
Individuals who hold a standard certificate to teach in another state or territory, seeking certification in Texas must first apply for a review of credentials. A standard certificate is defined in TAC §230.111(c).
1. Create a TEAL user account online using Google Chrome.
• Visit the instructions page if you need additional assistance.
2. Complete an application in your user account and pay the $164 non-refundable fee.
3. Submit copies of all standard certificates. See instructions below.
4. Request official transcripts from all colleges where a degree was conferred. See instructions below.
• Submit proof of oral English language proficiency if your degree was earned outside of the United States, including territories of the United States.
Visit the Texas Education Website – Out of State Certified Educators for Additional Information
TEA WEBSITE LINK
If you have any questions regarding certifications, please contact Tracy Williams at email@example.com.