Degrees and Certifications:
Office Hours: Weekdays @ 3:09-3:34pm
- I own a rare car, a Brickin SV1.
- My favorite animal is a horse.
- I spent many years living at the Kansas State Fair selling trampolines with my family as a kid!
- B.A. English, minor Computer Science/Web Technology from Ball State University
- M.A. Creative Writing, focus on young adult fiction from Illinois State University
- Certificate for Writing for Children and Teenagers from the Institute of Children's Literature in Madison, Connecticut
A published author with six books under her belt (two specifically for young adult readers), Ms. McCoy has been writing for as long as she can remember. Needless to stay, she is SUPER excited to be able to teach creative writing to future writers! But that's not all - her love of reading drives a desire to help others learn to love reading too, so she hasn't forgotten about her reading classes either!
This is Ms. McCoy's 2nd year in Kennedale ISD and 2nd as a junior high teacher (4 years at high school). However, she's coached track & field and gymnastics for 15 years (so lots of years working with all age groups). She grew up in central Kansas, went to Ball State University on a track & field scholarship (ranked as high as9th in the country in the multi-events) and studied English and Computer Science. In 2008, Ms. McCoy trained for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the heptathlon. She received her Masters in Creative Writing (focus in young adult fiction) in 2010. Eventually, she decided to follow both her parents in the education world and became a teacher in 2016.
A big lover of reading, it wasn't surprising when she started writing her own stories. Unfortunately, Ms. McCoy doesn't have enough time to write down all of the ideas she has (she has about five journals just full of ideas), but she still continues to dream and create when she can! Once a writer, always a writer!