VISION, HEARING AND SPINAL SCREENING
The Texas Department of State Health Services Vision, Hearing and Spinal Screening requirements mandate that all children must be screened or have a professional examination for possible vision, hearing and spinal curvature problems.
VISION AND HEARING SCREENING
The Vision and Hearing requirements apply each year for children enrolled in any licensed child-care center and licensed child care home or school program at the ages or grades listed below:
- Children who turn four years old by September 1 | within 120 days of admission.
- Kindergartners | within 120 days of admission.
- Any other first-time entrants, four years through 12th grades | within 120 days of admission.
- First, Third, Fifth, Seventh graders | any time within the school year, preferably within 120 days.
The requirements for Spinal Screening apply each year for all children who attend public and private schools, to detect abnormal spinal curvature in accordance with the following schedule:
Girls - two screenings
- age 10 OR fall semester of grade 5
- age 12 OR fall semester of grade 7
Boys - one screening
- age 13 OR 14 OR fall semester of grade 8
Click HERE to learn more about these requirements.