Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council?
Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code requires school districts to establish School Health Advisory Council to assist the district in ensuring that local community values are reflected in the district’s health education instruction.
How can I become a SHAC member?
All SHAC Committee members serve for two years. KISD will post applications in August 2022 for those wishing to be a member of the 2022-2024 SHAC Committee. t
What is the role of the SHAC?
The Kennedale ISD SHAC serves as an advisory council that provides recommendations, changes, and/or additions to the school’s health education curriculum and instruction for consideration by the KISD Board of Trustees. The council will look at and discuss issues and concerns that impact the entire district, not just individual campuses.
- Ensuring that local community values are reflected in KISD’s health education instruction;
- Fielding health education concerns from the community and bring them to a SHAC meeting for discussion;
- Providing leadership for health education concerns;
- Serving the KISD Board of Trustees and submitting recommendations as needed.
Duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education;
- Curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes through coordination of:
- health education
- physical education and physical activity
- parental involvement
- instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction; and
- Strategies for integrating the curriculum with the following elements in a coordinated school health program for the district:
- school health services
- counseling and guidance services
- a safe and healthy school environment
- school employee wellness.
For more information, please contact
Kennedale High School Nurse