The National Association of School Nurses (NASN) defines school nursing as "a specialized practice of public health nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates normal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders that bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potentials".
What School Nurses Do
There are several important activities that school nurses engage in to help ensure student health and wellness and to promote academic success. These include:
- Providing direct care to students, including managing acute illnesses and injuries, managing medication administration and medical procedures, and caring for students with special and chronic health care needs.
- Providing school health leadership including assisting with the development of emergency plans, and documenting confidential student health information.
- Performing screening and referral for health conditions, including hearing, vision, and other assessments as needed.
- Promoting a healthy school environment through monitoring of immunizations, communicable disease surveillance, and exclusion, and monitoring the safety of the school environment.
- Promoting wellness through health education and participation in school health and safety committees, school support teams, child study, and special education evaluation meetings.
- Developing and evaluating school health policies.
- Serving as a liaison between schools, family, health care providers, and other community resources.
Free Dental Screenings
All KISD students can receive free preventive services from the Dental Health Arlington Smiles Team.
Preventive screening includes:
- Limited oral exam.
- Free sealants on permanent teeth if needed.
- Goody bag with gifts for each child including toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.
- Free cleaning and fluoride varnish for each child.
Screening appointments available EVERY FRIDAY.
Please visit DENTAL HEALTH ARLINGTON to make an appointment.