Kennedale ISD currently offers half-day Prekindergarten to qualifying students. Per the Texas Education Agency (TEA), prekindergarten is offered to all eligible children who are four-year-old by September of the current year AND who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- Be educationally disadvantaged (I.e., eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program);
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a;
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code;
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace office (3106.02), firefighter (3106.003), or emergency medical first responder (3106.004). (Texas Education Agency, 2019)
For additional information on eligibility requirements, please visit the Texas Education Agency website.
Kennedale ISD Prekindergarten Program
Students enrolled in prekindergarten at Kennedale ISD are exposed to a variety of hands-on, authentic learning experiences that are based on the Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines (which can be found here). They participate in a variety of learning centers based on the rationale “Learning to Play & Playing to Learn.” Prekindergarten students are also taught foundational phonics skills through a program called Letterland. Our prekindergarten teachers provide individualized support to every student so that each child may progress naturally along their own development pathway.
Prekindergarten students are administered the CIRCLE, a progress monitoring tool that will allow teachers to track their progress over the course of the school year. CIRCLE is given three times a year (fall, winter, and spring). Click here for more information about CIRCLE.
Our prekindergarten is housed at James F. Delaney Elementary. There are sections offered in the morning and afternoon (see below for times). Although the program does try to honor parent request of AM or PM, please know that it is based on the number of classroom spaces available.
Below you will find some parent resources that can help support your child while they are in prekindergarten and as they prepare to transition to kindergarten.
TEA Prekindergarten Four-Year-Old Parent Guide (English) (Spanish)
CIRCLE Activity Collection: Family (click here)
James F. Delaney Elementary
180 W. Kennedale Pwky
Kennedale, Texas 76060
Morning: 8:00 – 11:30 am
Afternoon: 12:00 – 3:30 pm